[Ansteorra] Job descriptions (was Re: Ansteorra Digest, Vol 26, Issue 14)

Baronman at aol.com Baronman at aol.com
Mon Jul 11 09:37:58 PDT 2005

In a message dated 7/11/2005 11:18:16 AM Central Daylight Time,
AliceMorrowHarris at austin.rr.com writes:

Also can  we please stop using the word "troll" to describe the
front gate. I always  have this image of little green men when the word
"troll" is  mentioned.

I believe the original and proper usage should be "toll".  The Romans  built
their magnificent roads and in order to pay for them and keep them  maintained
they would charge the users of the roads a toll or tax.  Funny  how much
history repeats itself ( drive the Beltway?).  Some how the usage  of toll became
corrupted into troll as legend and fairy tales described that  trolls would
hide under bridges and exact payment of some kind from the user of  the bridge (
usually beautiful women) Trolls should not be confused with ogers-  that
would be my ex-wife.

Bors