[Ansteorra] the Attack of the "Authenticity Police"

Simone Ui'Dunlaingh simonemu at gmail.com
Wed Jul 13 08:23:38 PDT 2005

I have discovered there is an advantage to having been in the society for
over a quarter of a century. I have seen this debate crop up every few
years. folks bicker over terms and various points and we move on changes and
enriched.
 When I started in 79 our society was still young, we had occasional visits
from elves and dwarves.In <http://dwarves.In> my home Shire Fighter practice
was often followed by a shire meeting and revel Were we worked on projects,
newcomers were sheparded by an experianced members who would walk them
through the first years of discovery. for me my first year was a time of
wonder. I was tought to appriciate history, encouraged to explore crafts,
and fighting.
  I remember being told that I could make a tunic out of an old sheet. so I
carefuly followed the patern I was given for my first tunic dress and
proudly wore it to the revel I was 11 a boy my age teased me about it and
made a big deal about Snoopy not being period. One of the knights stoped him
and asked me kindly why I chose Snoopy? I told him I was told to use an old
sheet and that this was my old sheet. he then asked if they had told me it
should have been a solid color. I said No. I can remember Sir Mika Smiling
then he explined it and all 3 of us laughed when others came to find out why
we were laughing we told them. we all had a good chuckle. some of the ladies
then offered to take me shopping during the week for paterns so I could make
a new dress. and a few weeks latter I was askec to ware the snoopy tunic to
a revel when I got there everyone had a tunic iut of a comic sheet we had
fun with it. When I asked why I was told that while we try to recreate
history we must also remeber to have fun with it.
 over the years I do my best to remember that. I get irritated over those
who demeen other for making mistakes or not being 100% accurate not because
they are right or wrong, but because of how they tell inform others of thier
errors. We all are at diffrent levels of participation, knowledge and Skill
in our Society; as such I feel we should show oving tollerance and help
those we would critisis into appriciating the history and growing in Skill
and understanding. To have fun with it.
 Our society has evolved over the years and will continue to do so. and we
all have our place. we all grow into our own in time and are all of value.
The athenticly minded are needed to help keep us on track, the newcomer to
remind us of the wonder, the diplomat to keep the peace, the joker to remind
us to laugh and have fun while learning the history and values the society
honors.
 Simone

 On 7/13/05, Bethany Burke <damsle_n_distress2003 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> If the authenticity police really want things accurate well does anyone
> have documentation on WATERBEARING? Ooh and what about how we choose King,
> didn't you either have to be born into it or take it by force? Who has the
> documentation on a six month reign and a crown tournament? I agree with
> Captain Black. Who cares if where you pay your money is called gate or
> troll. Who cares if you are the autocrat or the event steward. If you do,
> call others what you feel is appropriate and give yourself the correct
> title. I use the terms that were taught to me by longer time players. I
> found out about the nasty crat title by being one. I took no offense to it,
> it can be a very nasty job. If you want to change it around, do so, but
> don't expect others to immediately follow your lead. Maybe they will, maybe
> they wont. Our shire has a golden plunger baldric for who ever is nastycrat.
> I think though for my event July 22nd -24th at Lake Sweetwater Park(little
> plugs never hurt) !
> I will
> use Lord/Lady of the Lou. I like it. I will still be the Autocrat, but you
> can call me the Event Steward if you want to. I have a Co-Autocrat who could
> actually be better termed as "Slave" but I'm not sure she would appreciate
> that title. And we will have, "Good gentles braving the battle to make sure
> all who are fighting have water to drink, taking no side. Offering not only
> to friends, but to enimies out to slaughter their kinsmen. These souls
> persue the hydration of others inspite of the swords crashing around them
> and the danger to themselves." Thank you for allowing me to rant on this
> topic via the VERY unperiod format of email which I believe is referred to
> as "Virtual Scribe".
>
> Lady Elizabeth Blackthorne
> Autocrat/Event Steward of Sundered Shield VI
>
> george basore <murray_kinsman at yahoo.com> wrote:
> "The time has come", the walrus said, "to speak of
> many things, of accuracy and authenticity, of misery
> and plague."
> Ok, everybody out of the pool! This has degenerated
> down to an argument over what who thought the Dream
> was in the beggining.
> Was it intended to be critically acurate in
> depicting life in medieval times? If so, where did the
> line ,"life in the middle ages, as it should have
> been"
> come from, can you tell me that?
> Ok, let's take your notion and apply it fully.
> NO electricity
> NO running water
> NO indoor plumbing
> NO way to make ice to preserve food
> NO propane gas appliences
> NO coffee OR tea
> NO concept of sanitation
>
> Are y'all starting to see where this is going?
> Obviously, we made some allowances for modern comfort
> along the way. So now we are going to get into a
> dither over WORDS? Over whether or not some
> hypothetical Mundane might be offended? Let me say
> [...]

Simone Ui'Dunlaingh
http://kyiare.bebo.com