[Ansteorra] the Attack of the "Authenticity Police"

Lady Einin Ciarnait little_dragon_0861 at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 13 09:27:23 PDT 2005

<<<snip>>>

Simone Ui'Dunlaingh <simonemu at gmail.com> wrote:
I have discovered there is an advantage to having been in the society for
over a quarter of a century. I have seen this debate crop up every few
years. folks bicker over terms and various points and we move on changes and
enriched.
When I started in 79 our society was still young, we had occasional visits
from elves and dwarves.In my home Shire Fighter practice
was often followed by a shire meeting and revel Were we worked on projects,
newcomers were sheparded by an experianced members who would walk them
through the first years of discovery. for me my first year was a time of
wonder. I was tought to appriciate history, encouraged to explore crafts,
and fighting.
I remember being told that I could make a tunic out of an old sheet. so I
carefuly followed the patern I was given for my first tunic dress and
proudly wore it to the revel I was 11 a boy my age teased me about it and
made a big deal about Snoopy not being period. One of the knights stoped him
and asked me kindly why I chose Snoopy? I told him I was told to use an old
sheet and that this was my old sheet.

One year the Baroness of DunOr made pants for all of the fighters ( which many still wear btw) that were light blue flannel with winged Oreos on them. residents of the Barony are referred to as Dun Oreos...and the Barnial Service Award looks like an Oreo Cookie with the Baronial Tower on it...for each year after the 2nd ( so you got both halves of the cookie) you receive a white "stuffing" to go in between the black cookies.

I realize many will think this is "cutesy" but again we are here to have fun, remember?

Einin