[Ansteorra] the Attack of the "Authenticity Police"

Duncan MacNamara duncan_macnamara at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 13 08:52:27 PDT 2005

My personal experience with these so-called "Period Nazis, Period Police,
Authenticity Police" etc. has shown me a different side of the coin so to
speak. In my case, it was a handfull of people who used their "knowledge"
against myself and my crew because they didn't "tolorate" our choice of
persona (Like they were in any position to tell us what our persona choice
had to be), which most of my persona's details can be documented... My
persona itself is not all that unreasonable... just unreasonable to certain
people. If everyone were required to document every aspect of their persona,
there would likely be few people left willing to "play" the "game" of the
SCA. And in my own stubbourness and eagerness to play and entertain, I
myself have some apologizing to do on my own end, which I shall attend to
next time I see the people I have offended. Well, not all of them, but the
ones that I'm sorry I offended.

But back to the subject. Call it the troll... call it the gate... who cares?
it's where you pay modern money and fill out modern paperwork and find out
where you park your modern vehicle.

Autocrat/Event Steward? Ohh.... that person you can't find on sunday morning
of an event because they lost their mind trying to make sure the event ran
smoothly?

Privy... however you wish to call this one, they are a neccessity. period.
even though the ones we use aren't period.

Does it really matter what terms you use for these things, so long as they
are not offensive? I swear people nitpick over the smallest details...
*shakes head*

Lord Duncan Patrick MacNamara
Captain of the 'Iron Lotus'
Commodore of the Allied Outlanders Fleet