[Ansteorra] the Attack of the "Authenticity Police"

Lady Einin Ciarnait little_dragon_0861 at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 13 09:01:25 PDT 2005

rachel luce <rachel_luce1975 at yahoo.com> wrote:
Thank you. That was exactly what I was thinnking but
written much more coherently than I could have done
so.
But you do raise an interesting question. Why is it
that being more historically accurate is percieved as
not being fun?
-Xanthe

Again, in response...I have never said it is not fun to be historically accurate...but remember the traditions involved in the SCA please :)

Regarding the "authenticity police" ...try watching "In Service to the Dream" sometime...( I have a copy available for those who wish to watch) There is a certain dance laurel in the show who you just want to ( to use an "authentic" punishment) draw and quarter for his attitude. It is that type of person that make the dream less fun for those who want to play and maybe take the middle road between full authenticity and mundane life.

Funny thing is...the same people who complain about authenticity in the SCa are the ones who go to Ren Faire in OOP dress for the time of the particular faire...ie wearing Elizabethan to Scarborough, or clothing from earlier periods.

Einin