[Ansteorra] Traditions

Lori Campbell countesskat at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 13 11:32:09 PDT 2005

Gunnora, I don't think we're on the same page.  I was
referring more to traditions in general, not the
semantics of calling someone an autocrat or a steward.
If I was gonna jump in on the word discussion I'm far
more concerned about calling children's activities
"boffer" (anyone looked "boff" up in the dictionary
lately?) than what we choose to call our little money
collection tables.

My comments weren't about the physical trappings of
our game either.  In a historical reinactment group I
should hope there will always be a place for further
study, better costuming, more period armor, etc. to
whatever extent the players themselves wish to apply
themselves.  If there are those who wish to take on
the crusade that more period trappings will make our
game better, more power to 'em.  I support them
completely and am quite grateful that we are no longer
fighting in freon cans.

My point was that when service and art become "all
about the awards," and fighting becomes "all about the
violence," I genuinely believe we may be losing
concepts and traditions that are important.  Some of
the things in jeopardy - both the core values and the
way we do things - define us as a kingdom and as an
organization.

I'm not saying all change is bad, but not all change
is good either.  It couldn't hurt us to look
objectively at each new thing and count the cost.

Kat MacLochlainn