[Ansteorra] Traditions

Lady Einin Ciarnait little_dragon_0861 at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 13 12:12:06 PDT 2005

Christie Ward <val_org at hotmail.com> wrote:Kat MacLochlainn said:
>My point was that when service and art become "all
>about the awards," and fighting becomes "all about the
>violence," I genuinely believe we may be losing
>concepts and traditions that are important. Some of
>the things in jeopardy - both the core values and the
>way we do things - define us as a kingdom and as an
>organization.
>
>I'm not saying all change is bad, but not all change
>is good either. It couldn't hurt us to look
>objectively at each new thing and count the cost.

There you go...and this is the point behind the SCA :)
My point somewhere when I jumped into this thread...was what is all the hoopla about having to change names of certain positions. If "traditionally" we call gate "Troll...or Trollbooth" why is there a problem. In California, we don't have toll ways like we do here...but it sure brought a smile to my face out here, when my husband had a slip of the tongue and called it a Trollway...it made me remember many pleasant hours working Troll at events and having a great time greeting friends , "family" , and meeting those who would become friends.
Autocrat, describes the person who has all of the responsibility and takes the blame when something doesn't go right at a feast or tourney...and yet often receives little to no acknowledgement for a job well done. How many of us have gotten...thanks for the great job done, and received a small token of appreciation when things go great...then are forggotten..BUT have one thing not go perfectly and you hear about it for years? I still get teased about being the Zen Autocrat at an event 18 years ago...my son ended up being born almost 2 weeks late, and I had him 2 days before the event instead of 2 weeks, so was unable to be at my own event.

I believe all of the "autocrats, or stewards, or whatever you wish to call them" are well aware that their are actual Society officers who " outrank" them at events...but they are still the person who has the responsiblity of the event on their shoulders so to speak.

Ok sorry going off on a tangent again...but hey, I have very strong opinions lol
Einin