[Ansteorra] Um...should I buy an armband?

Susan Hill sueorintx at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 14 20:59:37 PDT 2005

Actually, Your Exellency, I would love to see more period style foods served
at the taverns and vendors at events. When I am attending an event on my own
and not with my household, I frequently buy one of those roasted chickens
and eat it along with bread, cheese, fresh and dried fruits all weekend. At
most events where I am daytripping, I take bread, cheese, fruit (either
fresh or dried) and some sort of nuts, usually almonds or pistachios.

I would not take what you said as 'period nazi-ism' but rather a suggestion
for a way to improve the ambience of an event. No need to start
goose-stepping as yet. :) Having supped on one of your fantastic feasts this
twelfth night past, I find it hard to believe that anyone would challenge
you on food suggestions.

As far as such things as armor and the like, I think that most of us start
out with what we can afford, and slowly improve things until we have gotten
rid of the blue plastic barrel or at least try to cover it with a tabard or
something. Eventually we may be able to afford to purchase or make our own
plate, boiled leather, or something more authentic to our interests or
personas. Some of us need to sell our better things at rough times and then
slowly start accumulating the better items again.

My son's first garb consisted of a T-tunic and sweatpants. I did try to make
the sweats look a bit more 'period' by dying them a less obvious color than
sweatpant grey and I sewed strips of fabric on them so that we had leg
wrappings on his lower legs. Actually he looked pretty good. I don't
begrudge anyone sweats if they haven't got or cant afford anything better,
but I would hope that they do have some sort of t tunic or reasonable
attempt at a period style shirt or tunic. Shoes are tough and I don't expect
anyone to have authentic shoes. I know I can't afford them, but I do try to
purchase my everyday shoes with events in mind and a 'reasonable' look. No
patent leather sandals, but smooth leather vamps make things look 'ok'.

'Reasonable attempt' is the key. That varies from person to person up to a
point. If someone  comes to their first or second event in a stretch velour
fantasy elf gown, I hope that they see what costuming can be and are
encouraged to try something more authentic. They have made a reasonable
attempt given the knowledge they had in the beginning. Hopefuly they will
grow and want to learn and attempt more with time and make reasonable
attempts that are better and better.

Suggestions are not period nazi-ism, but badly-given and ill-chosen and
un-asked for criticisms can be. It's all in how things are delivered.

Lyneya de Grey