[Ansteorra] Um...should I buy an armband?

Scott Barrett barrett1 at cox.net
Thu Jul 14 21:43:14 PDT 2005

Sometimes, the suggestion can be very carefully worded with a
supportive tone and enthusiasm, and still be shot down. As an example,
you are discussing the heat with someone, and the conversation turns to
wearing various material. When the comment is made that wool is insane
to wear in Ansteorra, you respond;

  "Actually, 100% wool in a plain twill weave, which is historically
accurate, is available for under 7$ bucks a yard. I got a nice source
that even has period-appropriate dye colors, although I also know of a
place you can get it natural and dye it whatever you want. This stuff
is lightweight, too, with a basic weave that lets the air in, it's not
itchy like a lot of fabric store wool blends and the stuff is nice. I'd
be happy to get you the contact info and the company name, if you want.
This wool would make a tunic you could wear over a linen one and still
be very comfortable, unless it's in the high 90's..."

  "Okay, I'll take the info, can't hurt, I guess... kind of a 'period
nazi, aren't ya? Yeah, I know, you're quiet about it, he-heh... Hey,
Thudgetorix! C'mere and get a load of this. We're supposed to be
wearing wool. Man, don't look at me, Mister Twill Weave here said so..."

  At that point many people in this game decide that they will have fun
being accurate without saying a word unless they are literally begged
for input. They figure that since they can't have a harmless
conversation about medieval history in the SCA without someone being
crass or sarcastic or even defensive, they will try to be the best
SILENT example they can, since friendly discussion has proven to be a
limited option.
Me, I still try to help people sweltering in polyester and trigger by
mentioning wool and linen as better, inexpensive and comfortable
options. Guess I learn slow, just hate to see people suffer from the
heat.

Oh, in case anyone asks...

(Linen)
fabrics-store.com
(Wool)
periodfabric.com OR fashionfabricsclub.com
and just for the hardcore folks wanting period dye it yourself silks
like satin twill and tussah... silkconnection.com

Sincerely,
~Mr. Twill Weave