[Ansteorra] Re: Ansteorra Digest, Vol 26, Issue 50

Robert and Tara Brinsfield trbrins at fullnet.net
Fri Jul 15 08:29:46 PDT 2005

Dearest Baron Bors,

Thank you so much for reminding our Kingdom populace of what can be done to
accomodate ALL paticipants. I am of the opinion that it is a most valid
point.

There are lots that can be done to accomodate ALL participants. Be they
disabled or "not period". I recently went to an event that was being covered
by a local newspaper. There was a reporter and photographer there that were
doing a special interest piece on the SCA. They thoroughly enjoyed the day
of activities. But because they were not really dressed in garb (so to
speak), people made comments about them, behind their backs and to their
faces. It was rude for our members to do that in that manner and, in my
opinion, totally unacceptable. This was two men who were there to give us
some very generous press coverage, to assist in building an interest in this
game that we play. But the comment that was said to their face ("Hey you
guys are naked!") was published in the article. The fact of the matter is we
all have to pay for the thoughtless words of a select few.

As for the ADA legalities. You are so right about all of that. We should
take ALL of our glorious membership into consideration. THe problem is that
most of those that are disabled are forgotten about due to no one speaking
up. Another event I went to, there was a gentleman that had to get around by
means of a motorized scooter. His cabin reservations left him way down at
the bottom of a steep hill that was almost impassible with his motorized
scooter. He was in the cabin next to us. He was extremely courteous and very
kind in all of his interactions with all of us from our cabin. It was a
shame that better accomodations was not made for him and those that were
there with him. It is a simple matter of common courtesy. It shouldn't even
concern legality, if we just show one of the three basic traits that I feel
the SCA should personify. As members of the SCA, we should ALL personify
Chivalry, Courtesy, and Honor. If we aren't doing that to our full
capability then we delineate on the dream that our game is based off of .
Courtesy is so important. Not just in the SCA, but in mundane life as well.
Courtesy is the key to all of the threads that have been talked about on
this board of late. A little common courtesy can relieve a multitude of
problematic situations. I think we all could do well with remembering that,
myself included, ocassionally.

Anyway, that is just my opinion. I figured that since everyone else was
sharing one, I might as well toss my two cents in too.

YIS,
Lady Margeurite le Chanvrierre

> One overlooked fact no one has mentioned is that here in 21st century USA,
> there is a law- ADA (Americans with Disability Act) that regulates and
controls
>  everything from our architecture -- accessibility ramps, sidewalks, how
> wide the doors are -- to the parking of a car-disability parking reserved
space.
> In our wonderful game that we play, we go back to what ever time period
is
> appropriate for our persona and try to recreated that time period to the
best
> of our ability-BUT-we still are subject to modern laws. No rape, pillage
or
> plundering allowed.  If we are not careful, and I am not certain about the
> legal ramifications here (Alexis-help) we might get our corporate tails in
hot
> water if we don't consider the limitations of the disabled at our events.
> My personal thoughts is that the SCA is open to ALL and ALL have the right
> to enjoy ALL aspects of our wonderful organization.  It pains me to have
> someone write that they have to consider what events they can go to based
upon
> accessibility to the site.  I believe this is legally and morally  wrong.
> Granted-not all sites are the nicest or the most convenient and not  all
events have
> disabled people in attendance but I think with all of our  resources a way
> can be found to accommodate everyone.  If a person is  disabled, I feel
that
> person should contact the event steward and arrange  accommodations in
advance
> and the event steward might appoint a coordinator to  provide
accommodations for
> that person be it parking, luggage transportation,  porta lounge or feast
> sitting.  The disabled person would then know that  the event will be
friendly
> for them and enjoy it.  They must also realize  that if they take
advantage of
> the accommodations they might not be able to camp  or feast with the 20
members
> of their household- I just can't think of a way for  both to happen unless
> the household modifies their plan to incorporate their  disabled member.
Plans