[Ansteorra] mobility issues

Steve K. Rourke steverourke at charter.net
Fri Jul 15 15:57:05 PDT 2005

Lorraine DeerSlayer wrote:
I didn't see a board ruling...but I haven't read all the  board minutes.

Obiously you took it to the BoD...so they must have made a ruling on it...
can you direct me to where in the minutes I might find it...

http://www.sca.org/BOD/pres-report.html under Officer's Reports listed under
the President
The President presented a new Policy on Accessibility to Society Functions
for the Board's review:

The SCA, Inc. will not discriminate against any member or participant on the
basis of race, sex, religion, national origin, age or disability. The SCA,
Inc. will comply with all laws of the nation in which the meeting or event
is held. For any meeting or event held in the United States, the SCA, Inc.
will comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act. The SCA, Inc. will
provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities
to enable all participants to fully enjoy the events whenever it is possible
to do so. The SCA, Inc. will at all times attempt to provide reasonable
accommodations, while preserving the fundamental nature of the SCA event.

The Board adopted this policy as Corporate Policies section XIII,
renumbering the remainder of that document as necessary.

<minor rant>
As to the rest of this issue the whole point behind the ADA is reasonable
accomodation. I live with a BKA (below knee amputation) of my right leg, I
wear a prosthetic, so if
I'm in garb you might never realize I have a disability. I have yet to meet
an event steward or a member of an event staff that was not willing to work
with me in regards to being able to park where it would be easier for me to
get around. I've been to a couple sites that I saw disabled and non disabled
people help each other around the site. I know of at least one site that
getting around in a wheelchair or powerscooter is a bit hard because of
sandy conditions but it's doable if you put a little thought in how to get
around.

For those who want to complain about how unfair things are because what you
think is reasonable accomodation isn't being applied, I have one question,
what was your frame of mind before you became disabled? Did you really even
think about the issue before that? I know I really didn't. I did work as a
volunteer for Special Olympics before the amputation and did get involved
more with disability issues because of that.

And for those who seem to think that there may be too much accommodation
going on, put yourself in in the other person's shoes (so to speak). Do as
H.L. Arabella did, get a wheelchair and spend a day in it and see just how
much trouble it is to get around.

One more mior point, When it comes to table and chair spacing for feasts and
courts, I've heard many more complaints from people because of their
clothing  (getting stepped on, etc) because of the lack of room to move
around safely. Yes a lot of events do seem to want to crowd in as many
people as possible into a given space, and this presents a problem not only
to the disabled but the non-diabled as well.