[Ansteorra] What has happened?

aurore_gaudin2000 at yahoo.com aurore_gaudin2000 at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 3 07:44:08 PDT 2005

I may not attend as many events as I want, but I do agree that to see a mess like that is a major turn-off for me.  10 seconds of cleaning up after yourself may be distasteful, but to think what about the person that has to clean up after you will be doing it for minutes and hours.  Ideas, carry an extra pouch for the used cigarette butts, and if there was a cooler carrying that collection of beers, maybe a large plastic container (ie a small plastic garbage can) in the cooler to hold the used cans and bottles.  If we're using Boys or Girls camps, lets show a better role model and show that a bunch of people that dress up funny and hit each other with a stick aren't uncaring about our using the grounds.

Aurore Gaudin

Artorius ap Caradoc <artorius at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
I have a question for the populace members of our great Kingdom. What has happened to respect in the SCA? The respect I am speaking of is respect for the event sites we use, respect for the hosting groups, and respect for the event staff who work their tails off to make the event happen. This past weekend, I had the honor of attending Crown Tournament. The Barony of Wiesenfeuer did a fine job of hosting this Tournament. The site was the newly re-acquired Camp E-Ko-Wah. The site rule was alcohol permitted in period containers only. This was quite an accommodation that the Girl Scout Council made for us. As the revelling progressed up by the main hall Saturday night, the table outside the hall was literally covered with every type of beer can, beer bottle, whiskey bottle, etc. that you can imagine. Many small pubs would have been envious of the amount and selection of alcohol that was stocked on that table... out in the open, in plain sight. Eventually, it was notic!
ed,
pointed out, and cleared off. But within an hour or so, a slightly smaller assortment of bottles and cans was again arrayed on that table. Sunday morning, as the feast staff headed up to the hall, sure enough, there were some beer cans and a mostly full bottle of whiskey there on that same table. There were also hundreds of cigarette butts and a considerable number of beer bottle caps strewn about on the ground and sidewalks. I can only pray that we got the mess cleaned up before the camp ranger did a drive-through.

Now, back to my original question. What has happened? When I began playing 25 years ago, I was taught that SCA members always leave a site better off than we found it and that honor was of utmost importance. I am certain that the SCA and Ansteorra still values these teachings. It really is a simple fix. Simply obey the site rules and don't trash the site. It's not too much trouble to leave your bottles, cans, etc. in a covered cooler and simply refill your mug as needed, is it? I have been known to tie one on occasionally, I know the answer. It's not too much trouble to field-strip your cigarettes and put the butts in your pouch, is it? I smoke, I know the answer to this one too. I've rambled on long enough here. Please think about what I've said. Let's not lose any more sites because of such a lack of respect.

In service,

Master Artorius ap Caradoc, OP

Fortitudo et Honestus