[Ansteorra] RE:The SCA's existance (was the Death of Chivalry)

Marc Carlson marccarlson20 at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 4 17:54:04 PDT 2005

>From: Lori Campbell <countesskat at yahoo.com>
>Precisely the reason I said "the chivalric values *we
>perceive* to be ideal".  Maybe I could have been
>clearer.  Perhaps "the chivalric values we *each*
>perceive to be ideal" would have made it clearer that
>it wasn't my own personal ideals I was referring to.
>Believe me, after some of the experiences I've had in
>the society I know that not everybody sees chivalry,
>fealty, honor, etc. the same way.
>
>The things I had in mind - values many of us rightly
>or not associate with "chivalry" like honesty,
>courtesy, integrity, etc. - are concepts that I admit
>to taking for granted that the majority of SCAers hold
>as important.  Hopefully I'm not wrong, but I full
>well acknowledge that this could be the case.

I think my issue is with the word "chivalry", since like "the Dream" and
"honor", there is no *one* accepted definition, but everyone has thier own
definitions.

For example, the values you mention (and by no means am I saying you are
wrong), are similar to, but not the same as those I was raised to:
gallantry, personal courage, (Christian) moral and religious fortitude,
reverencing women, honor* and courtesy -- to hit the high points.  Since I
am most certainly *none* of these things, with the exception of generally
trying to be polite, you can see why I might object to ascribing the term
"chivalry" to me :)

The medieval definitions of chivalry has very little to do with behavior and
more to do with being able to fight and have a horse.

While I can fight and ride, I suck at both and would just rather not.

*Honor, of course, being a rigid maintenance of one's family's good name and
reputation, and striving to get more recognition and admiration from those
around you.

Marc/Diarmaid