[Ansteorra] Fw: What has happened?

Seanan seanan.dft at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 14:18:17 PDT 2005

Forwarded at Her Grace's request:

----- Original Message -----
From: <willowjonbardc at juno.com>
To: <elfsea at ansteorra.org>
Sent: Tuesday, October 04, 2005 2:13 PM
Subject: Re: [Elfsea] FW: [Ansteorra] What has happened?

> I will tell you why I think things are going wrong. To start off with we
were a group that studied history by creating a persona from a time pass. We
based this role on the best values, the ought of beens of a viable society.
The values of that society became real to us. We thought of our club as a
kingdom. We displayed loyality and caring because we were part of this peudo
socality. We found it easy to teach the values because we were not imposing
our values, but rather the Historical values needed to re-create pre 17th
century life. Because we were studing a complete culture we knew what we
needed to do. the Lords and Ladies did their jobs, the Peers did their jobs
and the Nobles did theirs. They could look at historical patterns to see
what their jobs were.
> Then we changed. We started being real. We started living the SCA not
doing historical reinactment. . The problem with that is the SCA is a 21th
century group. We talk the dream, but we didn't talk about what it means.
People became shy to teach  values because now we talking about our personal
values and the modern world thinks it is rude to impose your personal values
on others. People lost their roles. Peer and noble has no meaning in a 21th
century club. There are only mundane patterns for us to follow. The action I
see going on is the pattern offered by the modern world.
> I believe we need to go back to the historcial values of the medieval
construct we create to learn about our periods. I think we need to go back
to a base level of roleplaying and make Ansteorra the place we play not the
club, SCA.