[Ansteorra] RE:The SCA's existance (was the Death of Chivalry)

Susan Hill sueorintx at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 5 19:17:47 PDT 2005

It has been three and a half years now since I went to my first SCA event. I
guess I was just lucky that it was a session of the University of Ithra or
Grand Ithra in An Tir. I only played there for a few months before I came to
Ansteorra, but the experience I had there was exceptional.

My 12 year old son and I attended two classes together that session,
Introduction to the SCA, and Etiquette and Chivalry...Both taught by Sir
Brand Deux Leon from the Barony of Madrone in Seattle. Sir Brand told us the
history and story of the SCA in the first class and told us about the
various activities and groups that were available to us in the first class,
but it was the second one that really made the impression, Chivalry and
Etiquette.

Sir Brand was the first knight I ever met and he set a very high standard.
His very comport was elegant without being haughty even as he demonstrated
bowing and curtseying...and insisted on return demos :). He impressed upon
us the importance of acknowledging those around us properly, with a nod of
the head if unable to speak, and the importance of the rankings of those who
had earned their titles and brass 'hats.' I try to always make a small
curtsey, at least to those of rank. We play at this game which draws from
the traditions of the middle ages. It didn't do to forget those simple
courtesies...they could be remembered at the most unfortunate times. That
guy over there may be Joe Blow that works for my cousin in 'real life', but
he is Honorable Lord Whatshisface in our game and has earned the title.
Until I attain HLadyship, he is my better.....in this game.... and I choose
to play it. I will try my best to acknowledge his acheivements by my
demeanor. He earns a curtsey from me.

Sir Brand also taught us the importance of those values that so many of the
'chivalric' virtues that we espouse in this group. Integrity, Loyalty,
Fidelity, Courage....he not only taught them, he lived them. He told us how
he would not wear his knight's chain again until he had completed a
pilgrimage that he had set for himself, one that would take many years, if
he ever does complete it. The reason....he felt that he had dishonored his
oath and his King by agreeing with something that he knew in his heart was
wrong, something that was wrong for his King and his Kingdom. After some
thought, he knew that he had taken the easy way and not the right way and
chose to do the penance for it. I admired (and still do) his integrity in
this matter. Many men would have said, "oh well, what's done is done and let
it go." Everytime Sir Brand puts on garb, he is reminded of his oath and
it's import when he looks at that chain and leaves it where it lies instead
of donning it.

On top of everything, the man sat with my son while I attended another class
and taught this bored 12 year old how to play 'shut the box,' and then
carried my basket for me as we left for the day. He wore garb that made my
son who had bristled at wearing a 'dress' (T-tunic) think of getting into a
cotehardie or houplande. The last time he visited, he was considering a
doublet....wow, just boggles the mind.

We need people like Sir Brand to step up in Ansteorra and give our newcomers
lessons and the old timers refreshers. We all need a kick in the pants once
in a while. Let's all polish up our manners and remember what it is that
draws us to this time period.

In service,

Lyneya de Grey

My 2 Cents...
  I *try* to do as the Golden Rule...do unto others as you would have them
do
unto you.
  If I see someone struggling to carry/do something - I offer to help.
If I see trash and there is a trash bag close by - I put the trash in the
bag or carry it back to my camp to throw it away.
  I have only been in the SCA for a year but I see what each of you are
talking about.

While the Hospitaler is a great person, I dont remember seeing her offer an
SCA Ediquette class. I know she has done alot of classes this year but I
dont remember that one.
  Maybe something to consider? For all areas??
  In Service,
Racheal

--
Racheal no Ansteorra