[Ansteorra] Re: Ansteorra Digest, Vol 29, Issue 18

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon Oct 10 09:14:21 PDT 2005

Greetings Charisma,

I doubt that there is anything in Ansteorran policy on this, although
if there is I'm sure someone else will speak up.

What you seem to be approaching is the concept of fealty in the SCA
and perhaps how it compares to it in period. The SCA is less than 40
years old, and we're still trying to figure this out. :-) I suspect
you are likely to get a variety of answers from different people.

You might find these files in the CHIVALRY section of the Florilegium
to be of use, though.
25-years-late-art (23K)  9/18/00    "Why I Was Twenty-five Years
Late, Swearing
                                        Fealty to the Crown" by Duke
Arthur of
                                        Lockehaven.
2Squire-r-Not-art  (8K)  9/26/05    “To Squire or Not to Squire? That
is the
                                        question???” by Viscount
Sterling, KSCA
fealty-art        (27K)  1/18/94    Article on fealty by Ioseph of
Locksley.
Fealty-n-t-SCA-art (12K)  8/31/03    "Fealty in the SCA" by Baron Hrolf
                                        Herjolffsen OP.
fealty-msg        (38K)  8/26/99    Fealty in SCA and period. Feudalism.

I don't know of any specific Middle Ages or Renaissance "smiley".
After all, if you look at many period manuscripts you will see how
scrunched together many of the words are. They seem in many cases to
have had even less bandwidth than we do today, so the 'smiley's
probably got dropped for efficiency.:-) I think most gentle folks
just use the standard ones. You should keep in mind that many folks
are still using text only based systems so the graphical 'smiley's
may not get there.

Stefan

On Oct 10, 2005, at 10:13 AM, M G wrote:

> I have a question. What is Ansteorran policy as far as rule of law?
> I personally would do anthing that the crown or peerage request as
> I know that they are not going to make outragous request me. I know
> that no one in the realm is going to call me up at some time and
> demand that I come clean their lawn or baby sit their kids whith
> out a request for and inquiry into my time not to metion that that
> is non SCA duty. However, If I were at an event an a member of the
> crown or peerage or attendants to the crown told me instead of
> asking me to lets say carry some thing to help some one out then of
> course I would. To me the willingness to "obey" crown and peerage
> is that I can trust that the powere will not be abused. That is not
> to say that there have not been accusations of misuse  of power
> before in SCA, I am sure that here have been just as there usually
> are in any group.I personally have never seen a misuse of powere in
> this group. I do not get to lay very often and I am still !
>  learning
>  the ways. If I have offended any one on this list please accept my
> most humble apology.
> In Service To The Dream,
> Charisma of Constantinople m.k.a Michele Gaddis
>
> P.S. Does any one know if there are middle ages or Renasissance
> smilley out in cyberspace if so could you tell me?

--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com