[Ansteorra] Requested Krupnik recipe

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Oct 23 22:39:57 PDT 2005

At the Bryn Gwlad Fall Event this past weekend, I walked around and
offered sips of the last of the first cordial I've ever made.
Everyone who tried it seemed to like it. Several of these folks asked
me to post the recipe I used, so I am doing this now.

I've also been requested to make more, which I will do. We'll just
have to see if my beginner's luck holds up. :-)

There are several recipes given for Krupnik near the end of this file
in the BEVERAGES section of the Florilegium:
cordials-msg     (110K)  7/ 2/04    Period cordials and liqueurs. SCA
creations.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/BEVERAGES/cordials-msg.html

Here is the recipe which I believe comes closest to how I made mine.
I did use a whole vanilla bean rather than an extract and I chose to
specifically use "true" cinnamon rather than cassia (which is what
most people think of as cinnamon and is commonly sold in the U.S. as
cinnamon). I also chose to add several green peppercorns which were
mentioned in another recipe. I also used grated, fresh nutmeg rather
than the powdered stuff.

<snip>

> Krupnik
> (Fire Vodka)
>
> 1 1/2 cups (375 ml.) honey
> 2/3 cup (150 ml.) water
> 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
> 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
> 8 sticks cinnamon
> 2 whole cloves
> 3 strips lemon peel (2 in. long)
> 1 bottle (750 ml.) vodka
>
> Combine honey with the water, vanilla, spices and lemon peel in a
> large
> saucepan. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 5 min. Add the
> vodka,
> remove from heat. Serve hot or cooled. Makes about 1 quart (1 l.).
>
> http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/suchgo/kuchnia.htm
> Lithuanian honey vodka, is  Krupnikas according to the web.
> There's also a Krupnik (Polish Mushroom Barley Soup) which has a
> lot of
> recipes too.
>
> The Poles claim that  they were making vodka in the 8th century and
> it dates in print back to a 16th century herbal, so who knows if a
> honey flavored vodka is period or not. The vanilla of course could
> be a later addition.
>
> Johnnae llyn Lewis
Stefan
--------