Pirates in Period - Was [Ansteorra] Apology from Nasir al-Fayyid

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Sep 8 20:19:29 PDT 2005

On Sep 8, 2005, at 8:23 PM, Adam Edwards wrote:
> Funny you should mention that.  Another list I'm on has been
> discussing documenting Privateering.  The most interesting link so
> far has been:
>
> http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/Garden/5213/marque.htm
>
> They're kinda like Archers,   great if they're working for you,
> demons if they're working against.
>
> Wilim

I'm not sure about now, but yes, in period your opinion on pirates
and whether someone was or was not one, probably depended upon
whether they were for or against you. To much of Europe, the Vikings
were pirates. I'm sure they just considered themselves to just be
adventurers or "honest merchants". However, we do have a number of
folks who portray Vikings quite openly. And the English and the
Spanish had rather different opinions of Sir Francis Drake. To one, a
hero. To the other, an evil pirate.

For some more info on pirates in period:
Pirates-lnks      (12K) 12/ 7/03    Web links to info on medieval Wales
                                        by Dame Aoife Finn of Ynos Mon.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/CULTURES/pirates-lnks.html
pirates-msg       (38K)  4/13/05    Pirates throughout the Middle Ages.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/CULTURES/pirates-msg.html
Francis-Drake-art (20K)  6/ 3/01    "Sir Francis Drake" by Lord Simon
fitz
                                        Tomas.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/PEOPLE/Francis-Drake-art.html

Stefan