[Ansteorra] Romantic Personas

Iago baroniago at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 13 17:46:58 PDT 2005

Minor difference.  As a Spanish noble, if I see someone I know is a
gypsy, I don't consider it my duty to have them shot, hung, or
otherwise rendered dead.  If ninjas were more common, or for that
matter Japanese personas at all, we'd hear more ninja bashing. A
Japanese noble would have the same reaction to a ninja as I would to
a pirate, only more violent.  Of course I'm a Spaniard who made his
fortune in the new world. Like I've got room to talk.  The reason I'd
hate you is because you likley cost me money.

That being said, if you want to be a pirate, be a pirate. Have fun
with it.   Most of the SCA won't really care.  If you go around
saying "I'm a pirate," some people will roll their eyes and put you
in the category of the many Captain Jack Sparrow wannabes we got
after the movie came out.  Others won't.  If you're okay with that,
go for it!  If you care, then be a pirate and call yourself a
merchant captain. Make up interesting stories for how you came by all
the loot. "Well, guvna, we foun' a shipwreck off the coast a Africa
and by da law a da sea, don't da salvage belong to us? ....No guvna,
there weren't no one alive when time we found 'er. Jus orrible ain't
it?" The more outlandish the story, the better.

Iago