[Ansteorra] RE:The whole pirate thing...

Marc Carlson marccarlson20 at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 14 08:56:02 PDT 2005

>From: "Duncan MacNamara" <duncan_macnamara at hotmail.com>
>I see the point from your(and everyone else's) point of view, I really do.
>But perhaps I have been going about this the wrong way? Perhaps, in the
>name
>of diplomacy, I could call our Hosuehold a "Nautical" one and call
>ourselves
>"Free men of the Sea" instead of "Pirates" until we gain our Letter of
>Marque. This way we can meet in neutral waters, so to speak, and I will not
>at the same time be mis-representing ourselves...

>From my perspective, and that's just as some guy sitting on the sidelines -
I don't care id you call yourself a pirate, a free man of the sea, a
brigand, a reaver, whatever.  Piracy's perfectly period certainly, and
there's a (weak, but plausible) argument that calling yourself a pirate is
even period.

My only confusion - and that's all it is, a confusion - is why anyone would
want a person based on people who kill and steal for a living (you can dress
it up however you want, but the historical reality is that piracy IS all
about theft, even today).   Please note - this is not a statement that you
shouldn't do it - this is after all the SCA, and you are well within your
rights to do pretty much anything you want, and I'll support that.  But
don't be offended if I don't ask you to watch my stuff :)

Marc/Diarmaid