[Ansteorra] Heraldic Stories was Re: Thank You For the History Lesson!

David J. Hughes davidjhughes.tx at netzero.net
Tue Apr 25 16:28:14 PDT 2006

Kingdom Webminister wrote:

>I would love to hear some stories too. I know a few, some I
>will not repeat in the company of minors like we have on this
>list. ;)
>
>Mine is pretty simple. But lots of others out there are just
>incredibly busy and beautiful. I would love to hear some
>stories too. :)
>
>Like .. HRH Aaron's, what is the story there? :)
>
>HL Chiara
>Kingdom Webminister, Ansteorra

>aoife at cableone.net said:
>

>>Thank you Michael Silverhand for the *story* of Ansteorras
>>arms!  I've often looked at
>>different devices and wondered about the meanings behind
>>them...it's like having a very BIG
>>stoybook in front of you but you have to work out the tales for
>>yourself.  Hmmm...now
>>THERE'S a Bardic/Heraldic project for each group...the
>>History/Meaning behind everyone's
>>devices!
>>Aoife

  As to mine, the story is simple.
Charges are: a crossed crosspeen blacksmith's hammer over a dagger,
above an anvil.
At the time I needed a device, the armor regs had just changed to bann
the Freon can helms, resulting in a need for many new helms.
I came up with a simple design, bought two 5' by 10' sheets of 14 gauge
steel, and turned out a few dozen helms in a short period
which were sold at bargain prices just to get people back on the field .
Now, since then, a pair of different meanings grew.
Since the dagger was, in some cultures, the symbol of  a squire, I was
either hammering out (forging and shaping from raw materials
to a near finished product) squires,
OR
I just liked hammering ON squires <G>.

David Gallowglass