travelling with small kids, was Re: [Ansteorra] Principality, Gas, and a subject change...

Jennifer Jackson dagmarandowen at cox.net
Thu Apr 27 11:26:17 PDT 2006

There have been lots of good suggestions posted for traveling with small
children to events, and I will try not to be repetitive.  You really can
still have a good time.  It just takes some planning.  It also helps to have
more than one plan for what to do with your kids; more than one trick in
your bag so to speak.  I too have worked feast, been a water bearer, and
many other things with a kid in tow.  My lord also takes his turns with our
boys.

Backpacks are wonderful.  I also love my sling for all the same reasons I
use it outside the SCA.  A leash and harness are also big helps.  The leash
will give your toddler an opportunity to move around and tire himself out.
Also, in the heat of summer, you and your child will not want to be snuggled
up close all day.

A tote of water will keep small children busy for a long time.  It will also
keep them cooled off.  I also once brought along a portable swimming pool to
an event.  Periodically throughout the day I took my little one over and let
him get really wet, while I rested my feet in the cool water.  It was
lovely.

Now with baby number three on the way, I am considering a wagon.  Something
big enough to carry our stuff, and that the toddler can nap in.  Has anyone
else tried this?  Any tips on what to look for in a wagon?

Genevria, formerly known as Dagmar