[Ansteorra] Principality?

Paul DeLisle ferret at hot.rr.com
Sun Apr 23 15:29:03 PDT 2006

*sigh*.
This argument has gone on for *decades*. And it hasn't changed one bit in
all the ensuing years.

Are we too big? Yes.
Is the price of gas puting a crimp in travel? Of course.
Does it put pressure on everyone in the Kingdom? Yes.
Are there natural dividing lines? Several.
However, in spite of all these valid observations, the "Principality
Solution" (still) has one Great Flaw.

That flaw is that *everyone* still wants to be Ansteorran; they just want
somebody *else* to go be a Principality!
As Her Excellency pointed out, Principalities are a *political* & *social*
entity.  As long as people want to remain Ansteorrans, Ansteorrans they will
remain. When (or if) some group decides (for whatever reason; social,
financial, etc) that they don't want to (or can't) be Ansteorra anymore,
they want to be something *different*; *then* the possibility exists. Until
then...the idea is just that...an idea. And as long as it is applied in the
second person ("*You* should be a Principality"), it's a bad one.

My Tuppence-worth from the cave of a grumpy old hermit.

In Service, I remain
Alden Pharamond
Tir Medoin, Ansteorra