Why? (was Re: [Ansteorra] Principality?)

Lori Campbell countesskat at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 26 08:20:45 PDT 2006

> Zubeydah Jamilla al-Badawiyya wrote:
> no one has stated clearly and concisely just what it
> was that happened, how it was that it was ugly,
> and how it made folks turn against the concept.
> Could someone do that...

I hate it when people ask questions and nobody
answers.  Makes the past seem shrouded in murky
secrets - which of course it is not.

Open talk on any subject is generally a good thing.
Unfortunately when people say they want open talk
about Principalities, what they usually mean is they
want happy talk about forming them.  Dissenting
opinions aren't well tolerated.  Once debates get more
and more passionate, people say things out of anger or
frustration that can’t ever be taken back -
*especially* on internet discussion lists.

The personal cost to many during my area’s last round
of discussions was extremely high, so I'm among those
reluctant to see it brought up again.  I’m sure others
would say the same thing.  The truth is, though, that
I learned a lot about true friendship, acceptance and
tolerance during that time, so I guess there are
blessings in all things if we look hard enough.

There have been strong principality pushes in several
regions.  I only know about my own (which is, of
coincidence, also yours :) ).  If you want to know how
badly simple discussions can turn, you can always
check the archives of your regional list.  If memory
serves, you'll probably want to start reading
somewhere around the end of August 2000, I think.  If
people do go there in an attempt to learn from past
mistakes, I'd only offer one caution: try to remember
that these matters are in the distant past and treat
them as history, not ongoing feuds.  Most of the
individuals who were involved already do.

I know it has to be difficult for a newer player to
bring up a topic like this only to be shot down for
reasons you wouldn't have any reason to know about.  I
don’t think the topic should be taboo, but I'm
definitely one of those who does not look forward to a
repeat of past experiences.

Kat MacLochlainn
Wiesenfeuer