[Ansteorra] just read the link

Michael Silverhands silverhands at sbcglobal.net
Tue Dec 19 08:59:38 PST 2006

On Dec 19, 2006, at 10:26 AM, Lori Campbell wrote:

> Was it really so awful back when senior pics had to be taken in
> graduation robes or drapes?  Oh, the horror of squashing each child's
> delicate sense of individuality...
>
> ...<snip>...
>
> Kat M.
> whose high school mascot was a patriot holding a gun...

Nah, it wasn't so awful. My school yearbook had informal/candid
photos as well as official/posed pictures. So, you ended up with at
least one "nice" photo of every student, as well as some "real"
photos that showcased various students' creativity and individuality
(including the creativity and individuality of the photographers, who
were also students).

The formals were all taken wearing either a tux jacket (for boys),
gown (for girls), or graduation cap and gown -- all of which were
"loaners" provided for the photo shoot. I remember the girls helping
each other get "dressed up" in their borrowed gown, helping each
other put on makeup, etc. -- i.e., making a "girl party" out of it.
While the boys usually just slapped the tux shirt, tie and jacket
over their jeans and t-shirt, stood for the picture and got out of
there. ;-)

My high school[1] had no athletic department, no mascot, and no fight
song -- and we somehow survived. :-)

Michael

[1] HSPVA -- the High School for the Performing and Visual Arts
(Houston, Texas)