[Ansteorra] Combat Archers - My 2 cents

Mike meggiddo at netzero.net
Wed Jan 11 17:36:24 PST 2006

Heilsa,

I am simply stating facts here - I can not really run away, more of a
fast walk or light jog if I feel comfortable with the ground that I am
on (more about why I can not run is below).

Regardless, I made the decision when I first started to play back in
1999 that I would be a heavy contact or a full contact combat archer.

I am NOT seeking special consideration nor do I want it and I have never
sought any since day one. I play, because it is fun.

I have found that for the most part, the heavy fighters are honorable,
they do NOT "play beat upon an archer"; on the flip side if a fighter
does catch me unawares on the field, then I have no problem in that he
or she has returned some "combat  love" to me. Afterall, I have been
shooting combat arrows at fighters and in some cases the impact of the
arrows, even out of a 30lb., recurve will leave a bruise. So, if I can
leave a bruise on a fighter, then they have the right to leave a bruise
on me!

It is only fair!

Yes, I have received some bruises along the way, but so what, it is the
nature of this game that we all want to play. I received most of my
bruises in the beginning from being in the 2nd rank of a shield wall,
but since moving back off that mark and being further back, 20 feet or
so, behind the shieldwall, the bruises that I usually received are from
those "rifles", crossbows with 75 lb., prows on them.

The area that most fighters choose to hit on me - guess what, it is my
helm, making my ears ring a bit. Regardless of where the blow lands, my
responds has been - "Good blow" and a "Thank you", then walk off the
field to wait for the next scenario.

Why give a fighter this type of respond? The answer is simple - it is
Courtesy and to acknowledge that I am dead, that they have "killed" me.

Some times, a mere tap somewhere upon me, even a brushing of a shield as
a heavy fighter came by me was enough that I have accepted that as a
"death blow". The simple fact in these cases, they were extending a
courtesy to me. My response - "Good - Thank You, My Lord" or if it was a
lady, "Good - Thank You, My Lady". And walk from the field. Once again -
it is all about Courtesy from both sides, while still having fun.

I am a heavy contact archer and always have been - Proud of it!

(Cue Violins) :)
Having said that, I can NOT take the field without a knee brace - the
knee has been cut on - 4 times todate. The brace is not true support,
but to keep my knee from over extending, in other words there is no
lateral support and thus I really have no lateral movement, not for the
last 35 years. I have tried to fight with sword and shield and I will go
face down everytime at my opponent's feet. There is no warning when my
knee decides to take a coffee break, it will just go. Sometimes all it
takes is a depression in the ground of 1/4 to 1/2 inch that I am not
aware of, stepping down further than I expect and the lower leg slams
into the upper leg meeting at the knee and it will double me over, if
not taking me to the ground. The ground can be level even and this will
sometimes happen as well. Nor can I readily go to one knee out of armor
much less in armor, most times I can not even kneel on a couch. So, I
either will stand the entire time on the field or if there is time pull
out a small 3 legged stool that I carry with me on the field.

So, I take the field and judge how active I will be on that field on
that day. I, and only I, will decide how I will move to support heavy
fighters in their shieldwalls and No One Else! Afterall, it is my leg
and my body and I will have to endure the pain if I judge wrong - Not
anyone else.

Ok, enough violins. :)

I have made the decision to play this game, signed my wavier knowing
what the risks are, so I take the field.

Why take the risks, some of you might ask? - because I find it to be fun!

I will be on the field waiting for one and all - and if you are facing
me, then you are facing the wrong way and deserved/should be shot! :)

YIS,
 Lord Michael Kettering
  Combat Archer for the Condottieri
  King's Archer