[Ansteorra] Provinces, a clarification

Paul DeLisle ferret at hot.rr.com
Mon Jan 23 15:24:58 PST 2006

Thank you, Gunthar. I appreciate someone understanding why I posted what I
did.

For the record, let me clarify a couple of things:

I am *not* denigrating this or any group, or it's people, any more than I
would denigrate an individual for recieving an award or elevation I did not
think they deserved. Such a situation would not be their fault; it would be
the faults of those who allowed it to (or made it) happen.

My post was (as the kind Lady Franchesca so gently put it) a dismayed
reaction to yet another part of the historical and cultural flavor or the
SCA being (as I saw it) eroded away; in response to the rising of more and
more problems with individuals, groups, and their responsible Leaders (or
lack thereof.) It seemed like the "easy way out."

suggested that a Province was a good idea, because this person knew so many
Nobles who were *bad* leaders, played favorites, put politics into people's
private lives, etc.
Is this the case?...Every story has two sides, but I suspect that there is
some truth to what was relayed to me. But that's not a reason to "throw the
baby out with the bath water."

What *I* see is a lack of respect on both sides. If people don't respect our
Nobles, then what's the point of trying to be a *good* one?
The first three responses to my post didn't use the term Baron, Baroness, or
Noble; but the vulgar term "brass hat." How can Noblesse Oblige exist in
such an environment?

I will freely admit, I don't know the people of Mooneshadowe. But if they
are  as vibrant, avtive and tight-knit an organization as many here have
attested; then they should have a *dozen* viable candidates for the position
of Baron and/or Baroness. Candidates that would inspire others...who would
make newcomers and Old Farts alike say: "Wow, *that* must be why they are
Nobles. I want to be like them, someday."

But, instead, we have a group of hard workers, who have a good group, and
more event space on the Calendar. All good things. but there could be so
much more.
I'm so tired of "good enough."

In any case, thank you for listening/reading/whatever.

In Service (such as it is), I remain
Alden Pharamond
Tir Medoin, Ansteorra