[Ansteorra] Re: Province

Paul DeLisle ferret at hot.rr.com
Tue Jan 24 15:11:26 PST 2006

*sigh*, Well, Robert, I thought I'd said all I cared to say about this on
the list, but I'll reply to your post to clarify a little more.

To my way of thinking, a Province (like Crown Lands, or Regents) are (or
should be) methods of managing Mundane situations that affect the operation
of an SCA group; not a menu of possibilities to choose from.

Shadowlands (the Shadowlands I remember, anyway) was, for many, many years,
far-and-away large-enough to become a Barony...but their population was
transient. They didn't have the stable leadership necessary to generate (and
maintain) a Baron(ess); and so, they stayed the largest Shire in Ansteorra
for a very long time. This sounds like a perfect use for the Province.

A couple of people have posted about either the SCA-legality, or the
periodicity, of the Province concept.
First off, whether it is legal in the rules of the SCA is not at issue, and
(for me, anyway)never was. "Legal" has ever had much to do with "right."
Quoting Corpura really doesn't have much to do with this discussion. We all
know it's "legal."

However, the Periodicity argument really lays the whole thing out in the
open.
Again, whether there were regions that, historically, followed the concept
of the Province (as we style it here), is *also* not at issue.

The SCA is *different*. We have always been different. Most of us revel in
it. I know it's what drew *me* to the SCA, some 25-odd years ago...here were
a bunch of people, who (unlike most of the "normal" world I grew up in)
actually *believed* in the concepts that my parents tried to teach
me...things like courtesy, chivalry, honesty, Noblesse Oblige,  etc....And
these people weren't even embarassed about it!

Our differences from the mundane (with- or with-out a capital "M") make us
who we are as a Society. To my way of thinking, the closer we come to a
modern structure (whether documentable, or not), the closer we get to
some-day finding ourselves to be the the Rotary Club in tunics. And that
makes me sad. The Lawyers have dragged us kicking and screaming towards that
pit for the last 20 years; I don't think we can afford to even *look* in
it's direction.

Obviously, others feel differently. *shrug* As many have pointed out, it is
done. I wish Mooneschadowe all the best. (Really!)

Alden