[Ansteorra] Province

Richard Morgan rmorgan at satx.rr.com
Tue Jan 24 17:46:01 PST 2006

Well, I guess I might as well stir the bunnies a bit too, so here we go.

    For as long as I can remember in the SCA (26 years or so) Most of the
members of the Barony of Bjornsborg including the vast majority of the
Peers, Lions, and Landed Nobility  have flirted with the Idea of Becoming a
Province or City State. Some of the reasons that we considered such a move
are, #1 it's different, that's always is a winner here, #2 It's more
historically accurate for a big city, #3 it fits our way of running
ourselves more accurately, Bjorns borg, where do you think the Borg come
from anyway, and well  #4 it sounds like a fun new way of doing things (a
virtual cornucopia of game play). Well, why haven't we done it you may ask?
Well basically, it's too much work for a change of name. We would have to be
really really really excited or upset about something for this to occur. I
am very very impressed that some group finally had the tenacity to do it.
Congratulations Moonshadowe!!!
    Now for some advise (no you weren't going to get off the hook that
easily). The position of Baron and Baroness has an important role in the
functioning of a group. Their proper focus is not to run the group, this is
the job of the Seneschal. The main function of the landed nobility  is to be
the focus and scaffolding of period play. They should facilitate game play,
and if done well, create great depth and direction for the group.
Moonshadowe keep in this in mind while you are designing your new place in
our Kingdom. Research period ways that a Province would govern and
purposefully use them to create a matrix for game play; not only for your
members but for the rest of our Kingdom and the Society. Do not get lazy and
allow the Seneschal to become the de-facto nobility, this I fear will bring
disaster. Overall, I think a Province is a great idea, have fun with it!!!!!

Sir Richard ap Morgan
Chieftain to the Court of Ansteorra
and former Bjornsborg Seneschal for a long long time a long long long time
ago

P.S.Moonshadowe, if you need any help with ideas just ask.