[Ansteorra] Research help

Robin Lindsey & William Willett moiranliam at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 24 18:31:17 PST 2006

Greetings unto the Populace of Ansteorra,

    I need some help/direction for research.  I am wanting to start a tooled leather shield cover, but have only found a few sources online.  This is what I have found so far:

http://forums.armourarchive.org/phpBB2/download.php?id=1104  This is a document that Duke Garick von Kopke translated for a person on the Armour archives

http://www.geocities.com/scalaska1/shield.html  this shows parts of three shields talking about leather on shields

http://www.myarmoury.com/feature_shield.html  This is a good paper where the author's talk about many different shields.  The part on the medieval shields starts on page 6 and ends on page 7

There are quite a few references at the bottom of the page.  Does anyone have any of these books.  I would like to drown in documentation before I even start this project.  Unfotunately, though, I won't use period dyes for the coloring (due to the toxic nature of it), so I will probably use acrylic(sp?) paints instead.

Thanks in advance for all the help...

And, before I forget, Vivat! to my friends in  the populace of the Province of Moonshadowe...

William Willett & Robin Lindsey
moiranliam at earthlink.net