[Ansteorra] Research help

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Jan 24 21:40:16 PST 2006

On Jan 24, 2006, at 8:31 PM, Robin Lindsey & William Willett wrote:
>     I need some help/direction for research.  I am wanting to start
> a tooled leather shield cover, but have only found a few sources
> online.  This is what I have found so far:
>
> http://forums.armourarchive.org/phpBB2/download.php?id=1104  This
> is a document that Duke Garick von Kopke translated for a person on
> the Armour archives
>
> http://www.geocities.com/scalaska1/shield.html  this shows parts of
> three shields talking about leather on shields
>
> http://www.myarmoury.com/feature_shield.html  This is a good paper
> where the author's talk about many different shields.  The part on
> the medieval shields starts on page 6 and ends on page 7
>
> There are quite a few references at the bottom of the page.  Does
> anyone have any of these books.  I would like to drown in
> documentation before I even start this project.  Unfotunately,
> though, I won't use period dyes for the coloring (due to the toxic
> nature of it), so I will probably use acrylic(sp?) paints instead.

> William Willett & Robin Lindsey
> moiranliam at earthlink.net

I'm afraid I'm not clear on whether you are looking for information
on shields or on leather tooling or just leather tooling on period
shields. Here are a few files in the COMBAT and the CRAFTS sections
of the Florilegium which might be of use:

shields-msg      (103K)  6/16/05    SCA and period shields.
Shield-Balanc-art (10K)  6/23/99    "How to Balance your Shield to YOU!"
                                        by Master Sir Anluan Trelaine.
W-T-Shields-art   (20K)  1/19/01    "War and Tourney Shields"
                                        by HL Aaron of the Black
Mountains.

leather-bib       (18K) 11/ 1/94    Bibliography on leather and
leather goods.
leather2-bib       (9K)  6/11/99    Leather bibliography by Vilyehm
the Merchant
leather-msg       (86K)  7/25/04    Working with leather. tanning.
leather-dyeing-msg(40K) 11/ 9/01    Dyeing and painting leather.
lea-tooling-msg   (55K)  6/26/05    Leather tooling. decorating leather.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com