[Ansteorra] Needing information for 16th c horse tack and gear

Alex Doyle garbaholic at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jan 18 07:11:11 PST 2006

My madness is spreading!  While working on my dolls, I've discussed my project with a co-worker, showed her some woodcuts of children playing with mounted knight dolls and then I showed her my multiple cuts on my hands from my weekend work.  That was about when I decided I would finish these dolls, but not do any more.  I'm not willing to regularly bleed for my art.

  But my co-worker is intrigued with the idea of toy wooden horses to go with the knights and lances... so she's bought the new dremel and is currently working on the design for horses.

  I have sources to offer her on wood working, but I don't have anything regarding the type of tack and barding that a horse of the 16th century would need, and since this is a limited interest project for me, I'm asking for some quick help...

  Anyone have some websites and/or books to reccomend for 16th c horse tack and other assorted gear?  Even a quick description of what is similar to modern and what isn't would be good as well.

  thanks
  alexandria