[Ansteorra] Needing information for 16th c horse tack and gear

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Jan 18 16:37:29 PST 2006

alexandria asked:
On Jan 18, 2006, at 9:11 AM, Alex Doyle wrote:

> My madness is spreading!  While working on my dolls, I've discussed
> my project with a co-worker, showed her some woodcuts of children
> playing with mounted knight dolls and then I showed her my multiple
> cuts on my hands from my weekend work.  That was about when I
> decided I would finish these dolls, but not do any more.  I'm not
> willing to regularly bleed for my art.
>
>   But my co-worker is intrigued with the idea of toy wooden horses
> to go with the knights and lances... so she's bought the new dremel
> and is currently working on the design for horses.
>
>   I have sources to offer her on wood working, but I don't have
> anything regarding the type of tack and barding that a horse of the
> 16th century would need, and since this is a limited interest
> project for me, I'm asking for some quick help...
>
>   Anyone have some websites and/or books to reccomend for 16th c
> horse tack and other assorted gear?  Even a quick description of
> what is similar to modern and what isn't would be good as well.

Here are a few Florilegium files in the CHILDRENsection which may
have info and leads to pictures of the knight dolls which you are
speaking of. I know I've seen pictures of them.
toys-msg          (63K)  7/20/99    Period and SCA toys.

Toys-in-th-MA-art (26K)  8/30/99    "Toys in the Middle Ages" By Lady
Margritte
                                        of Ravenscroft.

Here are some on medieval horses in the ANIMALS section:
Horse-n-t-MA-art   (9K) 11/ 1/00    "The Horse in the Medieval Age"
                                        by Malachy of Adamastor.
horses-bib        (12K)  8/26/02    A bibliography on medieval and
ancient
                                         horses by Master Magnus
Malleus.
horses-lnks       (11K)  8/25/04    Links on medieval and SCA horses
by Dame
                                        Aoife Finn of Ynos Mon.
horses-msg        (77K)  9/25/05    Medieval horses. Horses in the SCA.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com