[Ansteorra] RE: Provinces, a clarification

Marc Carlson marccarlson20 at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 24 09:18:30 PST 2006

>From: "Paul DeLisle" <ferret at hot.rr.com>
>Umm..my intent was *not* to play games with terms, or definitions; but to
>discuss *concepts*.
>Do you have a valid point to present?

I believe that Emma’s point was adequately presented, and is quite valid.
The development of non-manoral urban centers and communities was in fact a
medieval concept – and arguably far more important to the development of
European civilization than “feudalism” since with out the development of the
communes and the Urban Corridor were critical to trade.  Without the Italian
city states, the White Company would have had no one to sack.  The concept
of a community run by the community, and not by the nobility, but still
subject to the Crown, is a very medieval Concept.

It is unfortunate that the “Province” model doesn’t appear to merge neatly
into a quaint Victorian romantic idea of the Middle Ages.  If you don’t care
for it, that’s fine.   If it doesn’t fit into –your- personal idea of the
Middle Ages, fair enough. But please don’t say it’s because it’s not a valid
medieval concept, because the facts are against you on this.

Marc/Diarmaid