[Ansteorra] All this talk about Provinces and Palatine Baronies....

Charlene Charette perronnelle at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 25 11:47:54 PST 2006

Tressa wrote:

> All this talk about different types of groups made me
> curious.  In doing a little looking around, I found
> some interesting types.  I confess I don't really know
> what the differences are with some of them..

> Can anyone shed light on the differences?

The types of branches are defined in Corpora -
http://www.sca.org/docs/govdocs.pdf - Section III.C.1.   Sections
III.C.2 through III.C.7 provide further information.

III.  BRANCHES
C. Branch Designations
1. The designations given below are considered standard, and their use
for branches of the appropriate type needs no special justification:
• Kingdom: area ruled by a King and Queen
• Principality: area within a kingdom ruled by Prince and Princess
• Barony: area administered by a Baron and/or Baroness, the ceremonial
representative(s) of the Crown
• Province: equivalent of barony without ceremonial representative
• Shire: local branch reporting directly to a kingdom or principality
• Canton: local branch reporting through a barony
• Riding: local branch reporting through a province
• College: institutional branch based at a school, research facility, etc.
• Stronghold: institutional branch based at a military installation
• Port: institutional branch based at a military installation in
situations where groups of members will be detached for long periods, as
with ships at sea

--Perronnelle

--
White Supremacists:  The most convincing argument against the theory of
white racial superiority.  -- Bayan, Rick; The Cynic's Dictionary, 2002