[Ansteorra] Notes from the Marshallate at King's Round Table

James Crouchet james at crouchet.com
Sat Jul 22 04:57:28 PDT 2006

Jean Paul de Sens wrote:

>    1. Blade Grabbing and Momentary contact
>       Ansteorra is going to allow the recently permitted (under
>       corporate) activities of blade grabbing and "momentary
>       contact".  While the details of "momentary contact" are a
>       lengthy discussion of its own course (feel free to post about it
>       if you so desire), there are two points that must be made about
>       these activities.
>          1. Both you and your opponent must agree to allow either
>             Blade Grabbing or Momentary contact during bouts
>          2. The marshals on the field must be informed that said
>             activity(ies) are going to be done during the bout.

A small correction: While you are required to get the agreement of our
opponent for blade grabbing, "fleeting contact" is a standard practice
and requires no such notice.

I will add one more point about fleeting contact: I will hold you
responsible for the results of your actions, not just your intent. You
may not have meant to shove the other fighter down or slam his hilt into
his head but if you did it, you are in trouble. Don't use these
techniques unless you are confident you can do so without error. If you
have doubts, keep training and drilling.

Before anyone asks, no, I won't try to explain fleeting contact via
email. I will give an explanation and demonstration at Queens. If you
cannot attend, check with someone who was there.

Check out the new rules at http://rapier.ansteorra.org

Christian Doré, Kingdom Rapier Marshal - rapier at marshal.ansteorra.org