[Ansteorra] Questions about Sumptuary and Armor (though not neccessarily related)

David J. Hughes davidjhughes.tx at netzero.net
Fri Jul 28 18:07:48 PDT 2006

Ashly "Ethne" Belford wrote:

>Greetings my fellow Ansteorrans!
>
>  My name is Ethne Halldorsdottir and I am the main representitive and coordinator for the University of Oklahoma Students for Creative Anachronism (not officially SCA, but designed to pull in interested college students in a fun and learning atmosphere). I am beginning to brainstorm on ideas to help our kingdom grow.
>
>  One idea I had was to at some point teach a class or at the very least give information on how to recognize people's rank and title by the shiny things that some of us wear on our heads. I was wondering if there was a link on the Ansteorran site somewhere that might provide me with the information I seek. I personally know most of them (B&B, K&Q, P&P, Grant-level, counts, dukes, etc.) but I would like to double-check and learn some of the other ones (i.e. vicountess, viduke?) or any other not-so-often seen "hats". I plan on creating a sort of BINGO game with them. I would greatly appriciate any help.
>

>  The other issue is unrelated and a bit more of the personal nature. Think Japanese-style armor for a moment. Would it still be legal if the plates that are laced together were of wax-hardened leather and not steel or kytex? I'm finally working on designing and getting together my armor and this is something that I wasn't sure if it would be legal or not.
>
>  Thanks for the help all around!
>
>  YIS,
>  Ethne
>

>Lady Ethne Anastasiia Halldorsdottir
>Or, a Phoenix Gules

Re: Wax hardened leather armor
So long as the leather is:
Heavy Leather: Stiff leather, 12 ounce or more, a minimum of 3/16 inch
(4.8 mm) thick. Also acceptable:
two or more layers of leather, glued over the entire area of contact
between the layers, to form one stiff
piece that is 3/16 inch (4.8 mm) or more thick
( COMPLETE PARTICIPANT’S HANDBOOK – KINGDOM OF ANSTEORRA – A.S. XXXIX)

you should be fine.

Pertinent documents, for both the Society and Ansteorra, below.

David Gallowglass

SCA Armor standards:
3. Neck Armor:
a. The neck (larynx and cervical vertebrae) must be covered by either
the helm, gorget of rigid
material, mail or heavy leather camail or aventail, or by a collar of
heavy leather lined with
foam or other equivalent padding. The neck (larynx and cervical
vertebrae) must stay covered
during typical combat situations to include turning the head, lifting
the chin, etc.
4. Body, Shoulder, and Groin Armor:
a. The kidney area, the short ribs, and the lower spine shall be covered
with a minimum of heavy
leather worn over ¼ inch (6 mm) of closed cell foam or equivalent padding.
b. For men, the groin must be covered by a minimum of a rigid athletic
cup (e. g., a hockey,
soccer, karate, or baseball cup), worn in a supporter or fighting
garment designed to hold the
cup in place, or equivalent armor.
c. For women, groin protection of closed-cell foam or heavy leather or
the equivalent is required
to cover the pubic bone area. The wearing of a male style athletic cup
by female fighters is
prohibited.
d. Chest protection in the form of a gambeson is recommended, but not
required, as a minimum
for all fighters. Separate breast cups are prohibited unless connected
by or mounted upon an
interconnecting rigid piece, i.e., heavy leather or metal breastplate.
e. A minimum of heavy padding over the shoulders and shoulder points is
recommended, but
not required.
6. Arm Armor:
a. The elbow point and bones at either side of the elbow joint must be
covered by a rigid
material underlain by at least ¼ inch (6 mm) of resilient padding or
closed-cell foam, by a
shield, or by an approved equivalent. This armor shall be attached in
such a way that the
elbow remains covered during combat.
7. Leg Armor:
a. The kneecap and both sides of the knee joints must be covered by
rigid material lined by at
least ¼ inch (6 mm) of resilient padding or closed-cell foam or an
approved equivalent. This
armor shall be attached in such a way that the knee remains covered
during combat.
b. A minimum of heavy padding over the thigh of the leading leg is
strongly recommended, but
not required. A minimum of heavy padding over both thighs is strongly
recommended, but
not required, for fighters fighting without a shield.
c. All individuals will wear sturdy footwear while engaged in combat
activities.

COMPLETE PARTICIPANT’S HANDBOOK – KINGDOM OF ANSTEORRA – A.S. XXXIX
B. Neck Armor:
1. The neck (larynx, the top of the sternum, cervical vertebrae, and the
top of the spine
below the neck) must stay covered during typical combat situations that
include turning
the head, lifting the chin, leaning the head, et cetera. One or a
combination of the
following must cover the aforementioned areas:
a. The helm
b. A gorget constructed of a minimum of heavy leather and a minimum of
1/2-inch
(12.5-mm) close cell foam or equivalent padding.
c. A mail or heavy leather aventail/camail securely attached to the
outside, or bottom
edge, of the helm. This aventail/camail must be designed to hang away
from the
neck and must have enough mass, or rigidity, to absorb the impact of
blows without
allowing the blow to strike the neck with potentially injurious force.
If this
aventail/camail lays on the back of the neck, you must have a minimum of
heavy
leather, or ½ -inch [12.5 mm] close cell foam or equivalent padding to
protect the
back of the neck.
d. (Note) - A mail coif, worn on the head under the helm, will not be
considered
adequate protection alone and must be accompanied by a gorget
constructed of a
minimum of light leather and padding.
e. Any combination of the above mentioned head and neck armor must be so
designed
as to not permit the direct impact of the tip of a 1 1/4-inch (32 mm)
non-thrusting
rattan sword, as the weapon would be normally utilized, when the
Combatant’s head
is held erect and the neck at full extension. The potential impact area
includes the
head and neck above the clavicle (collarbone), as well as the top of the
sternum and
the top of the spine below the neck.
C. Torso Armor:
1. A kidney belt must cover the kidney area, the short ribs, and the
lower spine. The kidney
belt will be constructed of a minimum of heavy leather or the equivalent
worn over 3/8-
inch (9.5 mm) closed cell foam or equivalent padding.
a. The kidney belt will be designed to fully encircle the torso of the
Combatant to allow a
closure gap of no more than 2 inches (5.1 cm) width, only when such a
closure gap is
located in the front of the body at the midline. This gap shall be
considered bridged
with a minimum width of 3 inches (7.6 cm) of heavy leather or the
equivalent.
b. If the kidney belt is not designed to have its closure in front of
the body at the midline,
there will be no gap at all where the edges meet.
2. It is recommended that male and female Combatants wear a minimum of
light leather,
padded gambeson, or equivalent that covers the chest area. If worn,
women may not
wear separate breast cups unless connected by or mounted upon an
interconnecting
rigid piece, i.e., heavy leather or metal breastplate.
3. It is strongly recommended the Combatants wear a minimum of heavy
padding over the
shoulders and shoulder points.

D. Groin Protection:
1. Both male and female Combatants are required to protect the groin area.
a. Female Combatants are required to wear groin protection constructed
of a minimum
of 1/2-inch (12.5 mm) closed-cell foam or the equivalent. Female
Combatants may
not wear a male style athletic cup.
b. Male Combatants are required to wear a minimum of a rigid athletic
cup or the
equivalent.
c. Male and Female Combatants have the option to wear a heavily padded
or mail skirt
that extends to at least mid-thigh, having no split in the front, and
enough mass or
rigidity to absorb the impact of blows without allowing the blow to
strike the groin with
potentially injurious force.
E. Arm Protection:
1. Armor is required for both arms (forearms and elbows) regardless of
whether or not a
shield is being used.
a. The point and the bones on each side of the elbow joint must be
covered by rigid
material. The rigid material shall be backed by a minimum of 1/4-inch (6
mm) close
cell foam or the equivalent.
b. The forearm must be covered by a vambrace from the elbow armor to the
wrist
leaving no gaps between the elbow armor and the vambrace on the outside
of the
forearm.
i. Vambraces will be constructed of a minimum of heavy leather. Light
leather
may be used in combination with padding so long as the protection
provided is
equivalent to the rigid protection standard.
ii. The vambrace will be designed so that the closure gap is located on
the inside
of the arm. Such closure gap will be no wider than 1 inch (25 mm).

G. Knee Protection:
1. The kneecaps (including 1 inch (25 mm) above and 1 inch (25 mm)
below) on both
knees, as well as both sides of the knee joint, are required to be
covered as follows:
a. Knee armor will be constructed of rigid materials and will be backed
by a minimum of
1/4-inch (6 mm) of closed-cell foam or equivalent.
b. It is strongly recommended that a minimum of heavy padding be worn
over the thigh
of the leading leg for shield users and over both thighs if the
Combatant is fighting
without a shield.
H. Foot Protection:
1. All Combatants will wear a minimum of a heavy cloth or canvas shoe on
each foot. An
attempt at historically period footwear is requested. Blatantly modern
footwear is highly
discouraged and considered gauche.