[Ansteorra] Squire belts (was: Sable Thistle...etc.)

Michael Gunter countgunthar at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 17 15:21:17 PDT 2006

>I know of only two knights (Corwin and Anton) who
>give silver chains and spurs to their squires.

Much as I like Anton and Corwin, I have to say I'm agin it.

>I always wondered, as Sir Morgan mused, why the devil anyone would want to
>impersonate a squire. I mean, where are the perks? Wearing a red belt just
>ups the odds of your getting chewed out by a knight if you're seen not
>being
>sufficiently helpful at an event.

That is true. However, the reality of the red belt is some form of
recognition
to the person. Either on the pickup field or off it. I know many people who
barely ever put on armor but prominently display their red belts. I think it
might be so they feel they would be taken seriously in some way.

>They identify squires on the
>fighting field; red baldrics identify the MAA's students.

Just an off-point here, but that isn't always true. I was Squired to a
Master of Arms and followed the tradition started by Sir Cyf when she
was squired to Lloyd. We wore red belts and called ourselves squires
no matter what he said. Sir Pendaran and Duke Mikael did the same.
Of course, all of Lloyd's squires were a little weird.

>Their argument is one of correct
>re-creation. In most eras squires were just servants and shield bearers
>with
>no hope of ever attaining a higher station. So it's historically accurate.
>Big deal. Bubonic plague is historically accurate, too. Squires with no
>ambition are a USELESS PAIN IT THE TUCHUS.

Sounds like the tradition of "Beer Squire", one the knight never feels
will ever get a belt but it makes them feel good to be a squire so
they do the chores and get a little training.
Again, I'm agin that as well. And if someone really wants that status they
should be given the proper title of manservant or man at arms or whatever.
"Squire" is definately wrong.

>For a time, Atenveldt had a set of sumptuary laws
>that included specifications that only knights could wear *roweled* spurs
>and only dukes could wear gold roweled spurs. I objected at the time
>because, historically, gold spurs were the mark of a knight.

I got into some trouble for wearing my historically accurate spurs when
I moved to Atenveldt, which I found rather silly. Aten tradition said only
knights could wear any kind of spurs and only dukes could wear gold
colored. Sir (now duke) Jonathon von Troitha found this odd and changed
it so any member of the Chiv could wear bronze colored spurs but only
dukes could wear actual gold. Um...okay....

They are also a little more picky about knights there. I remember going
to a local fighter practice and forgetting my belt. No biggie, I just
armored
up and went to practice. Duke Aaron came and loaned me one of his
spare belts because knights should not be seen without a belt.

I was also told they didn't think a Master at Arms could win a Crown,
but I ain't going there.

>Sir Lyonel Oliver Grace

Gunthar