[Ansteorra] Cookies and merit badges

Mike C. Baker kihebard at hotmail.com
Sun May 21 21:50:05 PDT 2006

From: ansteorra-bounces at lists.ansteorra.org
[mailto:ansteorra-bounces at lists.ansteorra.org] On Behalf Of Jean Paul de
Sens
Sent: Sunday, May 21, 2006 10:22 PM
To: Ansteorra List
Subject: [Ansteorra] Cookies and merit badges

Due to the long drive home this afternoon, Gilyan and I landed upon the
subject of "cookies and merit badges" and wondered at the negative
connotation associated with such things.  So we're wondering:

What's wrong with merit badges?  What about the system is offensive
and/or wrong?
Jean Paul
P.S., please try to keep the "I like chocolate chip" responses to a
minimum as I'm genuinely curious about this question.

LENGTH WARNING -- Yes, Amra has opinions, and the topic presented by
Sieur Jean Paul is one I had already been thinking seriously upon of
late...

Personally, I grew up with merit badges (Eagle Scout BSA,1976, Troop
196, Kingfisher OK).  They are, in some fashion, what shaped me from
what I was into what I am.  They could even be blamed / credited with
some of the breadth that I bring to the Society, and that I attempt to
maintain in my life as a whole.

That said, they aren't right for everyone, and I would personally rather
not see them resorted to in the "adult" expression of the SCA -- at
least not in the "collect six, do this thing, do that other thing, and
get your next advancement in rank" mode.  Following from that, if they
are *not* linked to rank advancement but are goals in and of themselves,
maybe there is a place.  I dunno -- not that attractive to me at this
point in my life, but possibly would make a difference in my future
circumstances (see below).

That said, I can see some good arguments for more formality in tracking
individual accomplishments.  Yes, we are an organization at least
nominally based upon personal honor. Our achievements on the field of
battle, in tournament, before audiences both small and large, in the
creation of tangible and intangible things:  all our works are
eventually judged, at least in passing, as we establish our reputation
within local branches, around the Kingdom, or throughout the SCA on a
wider scale. Do we perform? Do we teach?  Do we serve in formal office,
or give occasional assistance in small matters?

Our awards are typically phrased in the text of the scrolls and
ceremonies as being recognition of accomplishments above and beyond that
of the average, the mundane.  Yet how are we to reasonably track
advancement in ability over time and across vast distances when members
come and go, become less or more active, change fields of primary
endeavor?

I have served this kingdom informally and formally since before
Moonschadowe was named, since before Ansteorra was officially a kingdom
(admittedly not by very much time as the calendar may be read, but ...).
I have seen the arguments and counter-arguments and myths and rumors
concerning the award systems here and in other kingdoms "from the
ground", holding no particular rank myself, and been fortunate enough to
get an occasional insight at a higher level through the forbearance of
those who have been elevated to ranks or honors above those I have
achieved or been granted.  Primary conclusion:  there is no single
system which will satisfy everyone, and the one we have that has
"organically" grown into existence is better than several possible
alternatives.

I'm faced with a new personal quandary directly relating to all of the
above:  I stand within days, if not hours, of taking up a mundane
employment contract that will take me away from Ansteorra for months,
maybe much longer.  SCA folk have already prepared a welcome for me on
the far end of this journey -- but they will certainly be folk who do
not know me for what I am and have done here, except for some few who
have taken up such a journey in the past.  Some there, in Atlantia, know
a little of me because I participate in forums such as this, or have
seen something of my writings as they were distributed in the past.

But will they know me as a candidate for advancement until I have built
up new experience there?   This is where a more uniform system of
recognition and advancement might indeed serve the Society well -- but I
don't hold my breath to expect such a system to materialize overnight,
and doubt that it would be acceptable to every Kingdom within my
lifetime.  Too many existing traditions, too much inertia to overcome,
and no existing structure upon which it could be readily based which
would be likely to find acceptance within the current hierarchical
structures.  It may indeed come to pass.  We will see.

I've traveled before, for a contract of six months, into another
kingdom.  Aethelmearc welcomed me, or at least those I met in the
Barony-March of the Debatable Lands did, and I was happy to be there.  I
gave what I could, when I could, in the way I always have.  I miss
seeing those folk, and hope that I will be able to return as
circumstance allows.  (Having Pennsic in *their* backyard increases that
possibility, of course.)  Did I expect to receive any award while I was
there?  No.  The most that I hoped for was to enjoy a new SCA
experience, and to give my hosts and hostesses back what I could from my
small store of talents, energy, and experience.  What any proper guest
should, and what every Ansteorran in similar circumstance should aspire
to (In My Opinion).

As I've stated before, and I hope consistently, I'll be a participant in
the SCA for the foreseeable future, at whatever level my changing
circumstances allow.  With or without any additional awards.  I'm here
for the experience of the Society, and to help do my part in making that
experience available to others, and for my friends (whether or not I've
made their direct acquaintance yet).  I'm not here for merit badges, or
cookie-cutter awards.  If I am ever recognized beyond what I have
already received, yippee.  There's still going to be a new face looking
for an appropriate name and device, a kitchen that needs cleaning, or
announcements to be made to a camp.  Plus songs, poems, tales to be
repeated.

See you on the trail.

Adieu, Amra / ttfn - Mike / Pax ... Kihe (Mike C. Baker)

Opinions? I'm FULL of 'em | alt. e-mail: KiheBard at hotmail.com OR
MCBaker216 at cs.com

Buy my writings!:  <http://www.lulu.com/WizardsDen>
http://www.lulu.com/WizardsDen |