[Ansteorra] The real problem . . . Officers - I

L T ldeerslayer at yahoo.com
Thu May 4 00:40:48 PDT 2006

Lady Isobel,

Don't take it personal!

In our group...for years...
we had newcomer classes that we had taken the time and effort
to do when the newcomers were able...
about subjects they had requested...
and very seldom did the newcomers show up...

It wasn't our fault...it was just timing issues...
and the new people have to make the choice to come.
Sometimes no matter how availible you make things
people just don't come...

Have you made sure that they are being done at
times that are best for newcomers (and oldtimers) to attend?

Maybe there might be a different area of town that would be better
for the set of newcomers in your group...or they might feel
more comfortable in a different venue...

If the meetings are not advertized...talk to the Hospitlar
and see what you both can come up with to
do a better job of advertizing them.

If your superior is pretty much in name only...ask the
officers...and the B & B...

In SCA Group dynamics...actually any group dynamics...
things don't happen just because you suggest them...
and in an orgainization of volunteers like ours...things
seldom happen quickly.

First the idea has to be proposed.
Then it has to be mulled over.
(There may be legal or logistical issues that are unknown
 to you that need to be worked through or at least cleared through)
Then there are people who have to act on it.
Then the timing has to be right...

The minimum time things happen in is usually 6 months...
It took me several years...(sometimes over 5)
to get some things done in our group...
and I or others had to bring up the action every 6 months
till the group got comfortable with it.
Then the timing had to be right.
With the right people spearheading the project.

And not all projects worked out...many went down
the deep black hole...even after they had been started.
Some even after over 10 years of work...

In regard to offices...and consideration...it is all progressive.

People have to start small and build their own confidence and
build the group's confidence in them. As this grows the group
will be willing to allow a person to take on more responsibility.

And to be honest...sometimes it is all about timing and being in
the right place at the right time

And if the "power structure" of the group changes...then you may have
to also do things to build the new decision makers confidence in you.

And if you leave the SCA for any amount of time...you may have
some measure of trust from the older members...but you will very
likely have to earn it back with the newer members...or those who
have come into "power"...and if you left at a deficit...then you have
to work through all the issues and distrust first...before the balance
of trust will be positive again...

There's an ebb and flow to everything...and the trick is figuring out
when to act and what action to take to make the result you want
to happen.

Sometimes this means planting seeds in peoples heads,
sometimes this means taking physical action...
sometimes this means having to walk away and
find other activities that you enjoy...
no matter how much time, energy, and money you've invested.

Above all...YOU have to make it worth it for YOU to be where you are at.
No one else can do that for you...no amount of external recognition will
mean anything if you don't enjoy what you are doing.

To hang your worth of yourself on external recognition or symbols (i.e. awards)
is a loosing game and what you loose is yourself.

Kiss a baby...smell a rose...help someone...do things that are meaningful
to you.

I would give all my awards...and everything I have to have more time
 with those that I love that are no longer with us...
several I didn't have the time I should have had cause I was too busy
with SCA responsibilities...

Lorraine DeerSlayer
20 year veteran of the SCA

 Of Isobel de Kirkbryde