[Ansteorra] Results of Vambrace Poll

Jean Paul de Sens jeanpauldesens at gmail.com
Fri Nov 3 14:12:54 PST 2006

I know that upon discussion with Sir Keif et al, the original purpose was so
that Ansteorran's would have to only have one manual, and the original
design was that the Ansteorran handbook would be a copy of Society with
Ansteorra's additions all in one place, so that no fighter had to go get two
handbooks.

In practice, there have been enough changes to the Society rules over time,
combined with the sheer size of the rules,  that it has become difficult to
keep both documents in sync.  Indeed, it was quite a shock to me the first
time I went to a foreign war, and they said "did you know X is illegal", and
I said, "No, it's allowed in our kingdom", to be met with "Society says you
can't wear/do that".

So if we fall to Society minimums, what are the benefits?  No need to keep
track of two rule sets, no need to figure out which things are SCA and which
things are Ansteorran.

Downsides?  We might lose some of the specialness of our combat... i'm not
sure... and we'd lose vambraces and belly protection (only two things I can
think of off the top of my head).

JP

On 11/3/06, Michael Silverhands <silverhands at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> On Nov 3, 2006, at 3:02 PM, Sir Lyonel Oliver Grace wrote:
> >> * If "yes", then should we specify any armor standards at all in the
> >> Ansteorra rules? Or should we simply ratify whatever standards are
> >> set by Corporate?
> >>
> > Yes, Michael, the idea is to set our armor standards to match the
> > requirements put forth in the SCA Marshal's Handbook with no
> > additions. We would not be the first to do so. East Kingdom,
> > Aethelmearc, and Atlantia (perhaps others, I'm not certain) already
> > do so.
> >

> Thanks, Lyonel (and Jean Paul, who replied previously).
>
> What was our motivation for putting the current rules into our
> handbook? What are the benefits and disadvantages of leaving them as
> they are?
>
> What would be our motivation for removing them, thus defaulting to
> SCA minimum standards? What would be the risk or disadvantage of
> doing so? What would be the advantage or benefit, other than
> presumably greater individual freedom?
>
> Thanks,
> Michael

"Everybody works, no one quits."