[Ansteorra] Results of Vambrace Poll

James Crouchet james at crouchet.com
Fri Nov 3 15:38:46 PST 2006

I don't do much armored fighting but I have been writing and maintaining
rules for many years.

There is no chance most of the fighters will actually look through
multiple documents trying to figure out which rules apply to them. So,
the goal is to be able to present the fighters with a single clear, easy
to understand set of rules. It is up to us to keep up with changes in
the Society rules and update our own rules to reflect that. That takes
some extra effort on the part of the marshalate but that's the job.

I don't see anything wrong with just copying any sections of the Society
rules that apply and putting them directly in our own rules, just making
changes where we feel they are necessary. However, that is not a reason
to leave our own rules incomplete and send the fighters in search of
other documents.

Most fighters just want to fight and don't much care about written pages
of rules, let alone multiple documents. They won't make the effort to
keep up with changes; on the rapier side we still have fighters obeying
rules that were deleted 10 years ago. The challenge for the marshalate
is to push out the changes that matter and help the fighters keep up to
date. Any extra effort it takes to maintain our rules is small compared
with what it takes to do that.

Whether we require more armor than SCA minimums is a separate question
from whether we maintain one complete set of rules and one better suited
to those who do more armored fighting than me.

IMO...

Christian Doré