[Ansteorra] Armor standards and the SCA minimum

Michael Silverhands silverhands at sbcglobal.net
Wed Nov 8 08:09:45 PST 2006

On Nov 8, 2006, at 9:52 AM, Sir Lyonel Oliver Grace wrote:
>> I'm not against simplifying the rules, but I don't think this is
>> the best way to go.  I see as many disadvantages as advantages is
>> all.
>
> I don't want to be insulting, but I have not yet seen a single
> concrete example, from anyone, of a disadvantage to this proposed
> change.
>
> lo vostre per vos servir
> Meser Lyonel Oliver Grace

Au contraire, good knight:

Ansgar quoth:
>> Try printing the rules out and then try to follow them flipping
>> back and forth between our rules and addenda and the copy of the
>> Society rules.

I happen to agree with this point, which I think is a concrete
example of disadvantage.

Somebody has to "flip back and forth between our rules and addenda
and ... the Society rules". This issue really boils down to: who do
we make do that work? Where do we shift the effort?

Do we make one kingdom officer do it once (each time the rules are
revised), and collate the rules into one document?

Or do we make every marshal and every fighter do it countless times,
every time they want to look up a rule?

(And given that the society rules might not all be in one place, but
might be scattered among various controlling documents, then whoever
is making reference to the Society rules is required to have a
certain level of expertise at navigating them. That's not so bad when
the requirement falls on one kingdom officer; that "level of
expertise" just becomes a requirement of the job, and not a terribly
unreasonable one at that. But it can be a real problem when the
requirement falls to everyone who needs to reference those documents.)

Other than that, I can see the points you are making about "single-
sourcing".

In service,
Michael Silverhands