[Ansteorra] Armor standards and the SCA minimum

bsmall at cox-internet.com bsmall at cox-internet.com
Wed Nov 8 07:19:14 PST 2006

> From: "Sir Lyonel Oliver Grace" <sirlyonel at hotmail.com>
> Date: 2006/11/08 Wed AM 08:45:08 CST
> To: ansteorra at lists.ansteorra.org
> Subject: Re: [Ansteorra] Armor standards and the SCA minimum

<snip>

> > > Responsibility for what? Perhaps you could offer a concrete example. I
> >for
> > > one can think of none.
> >
> >Actually, I was referring to the issues you specifically raised in your
> >reason #1 (Just like I said in my response<G>).  To
> >clarify...repsonsibility for tracking, updating and reviewing the rules.
>
> In that case, damn straight. Let the Society-level bureaucrats handle it. I
> don't see a down side to this.

And I, respectfully, disagree.  It looks like this is sort of a state rights issue.  I prefer to keep as much control and responsibility at the kingdom level.  To be brutally honest, I've seen way too many problems with power at the Society level to give them all my trust.

<snip>

> This seems like a good time to clarify another point. I have occasionally
> heard complaints about the current format of the Ansteorran Participant's
> Handbook. The complaint usually runs something like this: "Why the hell did
> they restate everything in the SCA Marshal's Handbook? We have to meet the
> SCA requirements as a minimum anyway. Why wasn't the Participant's Handbook
> written as a simple addendum? It would have been easier to use, easier to
> follow, easier to maintain."

I think Dore answered this issue quit well.  If we have problems with people simply looking at the Ansteorran Handbook, why should we think they are going to look at multiple documents?

> Personally, I think these complaints lack a sense of history. Yes, on the
> internet, the Participant's Handbook would be easier to use and teach and
> maintain as an addendum. When this Kingdom began, however, the Internet was
> a tiny little defense department ghetto. Extensibility is a fairly new
> concept in documentation. In the days when hardcopy roamed the earth, it
> made more sense for the Ansteorran Participant's Handbook to be a standalone
> tome. Today, that's no longer true. Now, it makes more sense to use pointer
> links where possible and write our own marshals guides as addenda.

Agreed with regard to history.  Also, an online version with links works fine.  However, even in this day and age, not everyone has online access.  Try printing the rules out and then try to follow them flipping back and forth between our rules and addenda and the copy of the Society rules.

I'm not against simplifying the rules, but I don't think this is the best way to go.  I see as many disadvantages as advantages is all.

> Lyonel

Ansgar