[Ansteorra] Armor standards and the SCA minimum

Sir Lyonel Oliver Grace sirlyonel at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 8 07:52:55 PST 2006

Salut cozyns,

Ansgar réponde qe:

> > In that case, damn straight. Let the Society-level bureaucrats handle
>it. I
> > don't see a down side to this.
>
>And I, respectfully, disagree.  It looks like this is sort of a state
>rights issue.  I prefer to keep as much control and responsibility at the
>kingdom level.  To be brutally honest, I've seen way too many problems with
>power at the Society level to give them all my trust.

To put it simply, they already have control of the base level. We don't get
to take that from them nor should we want to do so. Allow me to put on my
mundane professional hat for a moment: I work in documentation quality.
Single source, where possible, is the best model for control and oversight.
I don't agree that this is a state rights versus federation issue. This is a
complexity issue. Simple is better.

> > In the days when hardcopy roamed the earth, it
> > made more sense for the Ansteorran Participant's Handbook to be a
>standalone
> > tome. Today, that's no longer true. Now, it makes more sense to use
>pointer
> > links where possible and write our own marshals guides as addenda.
>
>Agreed with regard to history.  Also, an online version with links works
>fine.  However, even in this day and age, not everyone has online access.
>Try printing the rules out and then try to follow them flipping back and
>forth between our rules and addenda and the copy of the Society rules.

No problem, cozyn. Living in the age of extensibility also means that
combining multiple resources into a single document (or document set, since
we're talking about PDFs) is also possible. Note, I'm talking about a single
document as an output, not as a maintained conglomerate.

>I'm not against simplifying the rules, but I don't think this is the best
>way to go.  I see as many disadvantages as advantages is all.

I don't want to be insulting, but I have not yet seen a single concrete
example, from anyone, of a disadvantage to this proposed change.

lo vostre per vos servir
Meser Lyonel Oliver Grace
Dum doceo disco