[Ansteorra] In defense of courtesy

Marc Carlson marccarlson20 at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 8 13:29:50 PDT 2006

>Ceallach mac Donal ceallach at dwarfworks.com
>Hmmm.  I have seen quite often the opposite occur, when a lady escorts
>her lord or a unattached male friend into court.  Not as often true,
>but probably once for every two times I have the example you provide.
>I wonder if perhaps this is newer behavior?

Which is newer?

When I started in the Society, it was neither required nor necessarily
expected that a person of either gender needed an escort into Court.  At
least if it was, no one ever mentioned it to me.  Sometime after that it
became de rigeur - and I seem to recall even seeing a crown or two insist
that an unaccompanied lady must be accompanied.  Of course, it's been a
while, so the pendulum may have slipped back, and I've missed it.

Anyone have any more recent evidence that it is the expected thing?

Marc/Diarmaid