[Ansteorra] Terms Coronets when to use

HerrDetlef at aol.com HerrDetlef at aol.com
Tue Oct 17 08:41:01 PDT 2006

"Coronet" literally means a "little crown"....in other words, a crown of a
level below that of the king/queen.

It would properly apply to all circlets outside of the crowns of the king
and queen.

The only rub is our tendency in these Current Middle Ages to refer to a
prince and princess as "The Coronet" in the same way that we refer to a king and
queen as "The Crown."  This creates a very weak levee against referring to  a
baron and baroness (if what they wear are called coronets) as "The  Coronet."
That probably wouldln't happen, but it does set up the  precedent.
Basically, if we refer to princes and princesses as "The  Coronet," the circlets that
dukes on down to barons wear should not be called  coronets.

Again, how period are coronets of rank?  Also, how period is referring  to a
prince as "The Coronet"?  This issue can certainly create a lot of  confusion
if we're not careful.

Detlef