[Ansteorra] Polls

Sir Lyonel Oliver Grace sirlyonel at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 23 10:47:49 PDT 2006

Salut cozyns,

>"Should we *require* vambraces as minimum armour?"
>
>You can vote by going to http://marshal.ansteorra.org/armored/

Three points worth noting:

First, the vambrace is *not* an SCA marshal's requirement. This is an
Ansteorran requirement. Several kingdoms "strongly recommend" forearm
protection (including Gleann Abhann and Meridies), and Trimaris requires a
vambrace only if no shield is present.

Second, even if we require rigid forearm protection, I can see no reason for
the heavy legislation we're currently carrying--unbroken rigid *and* padded
coverage from wrist to elbow cop, closure only on the inside with a gap no
larger than one inch. I've always worn forearm protection. I wear more armor
(coverage-wise) than most of this kingdom. This rule is excessive.

Third, I've seen no data supporting a need for this regulation. Most of the
broken forearms I've seen in SCA combat were from jumping or falling, and in
each case I recall, the arms were in vambraces.

lo vostre per vos servir
Meser Lyonel
Dum doceo disco