[Ansteorra] In defense of courtesy (was: Re:Courtesy challenge)

James Crouchet james at crouchet.com
Wed Oct 4 12:23:17 PDT 2006

I cannot agree with your contention. While it is true that we take some
of our models of courtesy from the Victorians and we obviously have our
own priorities, fashions of speech and behavior, and prejudices, in the
main we would recognize and respect the themes of courtesy from the past.

As evidence I offer "The Book of the Courtier" by Baldesar Castiglione,
written before 1529, which purports to document extended conversations
before 1524 describing and debating the qualities of a perfect courtier.
The qualities praised included skill at arms, bravery, fitness, agility,
easy grace, ability in the arts, honesty, modesty, education, good
"manners" (which they acknowledge to vary with the times), good sense
("that he not let himself be persuaded that black is white"), wisdom,
wit, gentleness, dignity and generosity. He should appreciate the
attention and praise of the ladies and of persons of rank. He should
serve a "Prince" (a person of significant rank, not necessarily an
actual prince). He should NOT be ostentatious, presumptuous, spiteful,
obstinate nor contentious.  He should show reverence and respect for his
prince. He should be discreet when counseling his prince on matters of
importance.

There is much more but I think this paints a portrait of courtesy that
we can recognize and respect, well within the SCA time frame.

Christian Doré