[Ansteorra] In defense of courtesy (was: Re:Courtesy challenge)

Sir Lyonel Oliver Grace sirlyonel at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 5 07:02:56 PDT 2006

Salut cozyns,

> > ... demonstrating our defacto ownership over the weaker sex through an
>array of bizzare
> > rituals such as escorting them into court, opening doors for them, and
>so
> > on.

Mistress Aethelyan says

>On the subject of opening doors, I never saw it as demonstrating
>defacto ownership. Women throughout the centuries have usually worn
>long skirts, and opening a door, if it opens towards you, can drag the
>door over the hem of the skirt. This is highly inconvenient, and can
>be downright dangerous if it captures the hem and the lady starts to
>walk forward, only to pitch headlong onto the floor...

Ironically, Mistress, your point supports Diarmaid's explication of the
underlying hierarchical motives behind many of our rituals of courtesy. Some
have argued that many of the outlandish extremes of feminine fashion were
ideologically designed as a reinforcement of the concept of women as
chattel. A woman who can't go through doors on her own, feed herself, run,
undress without assistance, ride a horse, or get into a cart or carriage on
her own is decidedly dependent upon the good graces of her lord.

lo vostre per vos servir
Meser Lyonel